Reduce Your Drinking
Is your drinking okay? Check it out using the quiz at www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-you/your-drinking-okay/.
If you’d like to reduce your drinking, you don’t have to cut out alcohol altogether. You can continue to enjoy your glass of wine on a Friday night, or a couple of beers with your mates at the footy. Here are a few tips to allow you to keep your drinking levels within the recommended amounts:
- Have at least two alcohol-free days per week. For example nominate Monday-Thursday as ‘alcohol free’ and enjoy a responsible amount of alcohol on the weekends.
- Be prepared when going to social events like BBQs and parties by taking some non-alcoholic drinks.
- Aim to have one glass of water for every alcoholic drink you have.
Experiment with ‘mocktails’- cocktails without alcohol. Have a party and serve your latest unique blend of fruit juices and soft drinks. A relaxing red wine or a beer after work can be part of a healthy and active lifestyle. Keep balance in mind to help you to reduce your drinking and aim to make alcohol an occasional treat as part of your happy, healthy life.
Check out the following articles for further reading:
- What is A Standard Drink - find out how much you are actually drinking.
- The Dangers of Drinking Too Much - the short and long term risks, which include cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes.