5 Steps to Looking & Feeling Your Best
With life being so busy it can be really easy to forget about how important it is to make a little time and space for yourself. With work, relationships and family commitments it can be so easy to always put the needs of others first, but what can happen in the process is that you can easily wear yourself out!
It is time to see yourself as a priority, you matter and when you look after yourself, it is amazing what you can do in the world and what you can achieve. Here are some things you can do to make it happen…
Step 1: Nourish your body from the inside out
Eat more of the food which your body LOVES.
- Up your veggies big time – aim for at least 4-5 handfuls a day.
- Where you include grain based foods (like breads and cereals), opt for wholegrain versions where you can.
- Look to includes pulses each week – it might be having chickpeas in a salad, adding cooked lentils into a mince dish or an extra can of kidney beans into a chilli – they are high in fibre, low GI and all-round good for you!
- Where you have fats in your diet – go for healthy ones too – nuts and seeds are a great way to include healthy fat with the added benefit of being packed with fibre too.
- Be sure to have 2-3 servings of dairy products each day to make sure you are getting enough protein and calcium! A serving is a cup of milk, a pottle of yoghurt or 2 slices of cheese. Opt for low fat options where possible.
- Keep yourself well hydrated, a vital step to help you look and feel good.
Your body does amazing things for you and deserves looking after.
Step 2: Time out before snooze time
Allow yourself time to be away from your computer, phone or TV before bed to disconnect and unwind and get yourself into a good sleeping routine. Your body and mind need this space.
Step 3: Be in nature
I absolutely believe that many of us suffer from a ‘nature deficit’, not spending enough time outside, in the fresh air and natural daylight, simply walking through the trees, playing on the grass and running bare foot in the sand. Connecting with nature, the real beautiful world in which we live in is very powerful and allows us to connect with what is really important, and that’s not money, things or stuff.
Step 4: Find out what feels good
Write down a list of things you love doing and make you feel good. I know winning the lotto and a luxury holiday might be the first things that come to mind, but I am talking about free or very low cost things. Having flowers in your lounge, cooking a healthy dinner for your friends, watching comedy. Focus on some of the little things. How good it feels to give someone a gift, call a friend or try something new. Every day plan to do at least one thing which you know makes you feel good.
Step 5: Surround yourself with amazing energy
Spend time with people who support you and lift you up. You become like the people with whom you spend the most time and they will influence who you become. Choose wisely. Spend more time with the right people. There are times when you can’t always choose who you spend time with, at work for example or the members of your family. You can however choose how much they impact on the way you think.
By Claire Turnbull. NZ Registered Nutritionist, AUT Millennium. For more information about Claire, visit her website: www.claireturnbull.co.nz